It’s that time of year again, Big Ben has chimed in a New Year 2019 and gym memberships are being signed up, cookbooks for healthy eating are flying of the shelves, and I’ve already broken every NY resolution I have made and its only January 3rd !
So I’m not making any. And what a burden has been lifted of my shoulders already by just writing it down ! Oh the pressure to lose 4 stone by the end of the year, exercise every day for an hour, get up an hour early, write a journal, the list is endless. I’ve made resolutions like this for years and fail at the first hurdle. This year I have thought long and hard and I am NOT making a single resolution. Even the word “resolution” sends shivers up my spine! Instead looking at setting small achievable goals like, set my alarm clock 10 minutes earlier and building up time over a longer period. Loose 1lb a week, thats 52 lbs in a year! 4 stone is a terrifying amount of weight when you look at it like that. Write a journal once a week and build from there. This all becomes so much more achievable straight away. And who says you have to start them on January 1st anyways ??
Instead I am going to make small goals that when I look back in 12 months a larger goal will have been achieved. This starts with my word for 2019. This year I choose BRAVE. It just popped into my head and I kept coming back to this word BRAVE. I looked it up in the dictionary to understand fully what BRAVE would mean for me.
n : brave. Courageous, dauntless, perhaps a little bit daring, a person who is brave faces dangerous or difficult situations with courage. … Both adjective and verb forms of the word share a common meaning — the sense of having courage or acting fearlessly.
It does not mean “being afraid and doing it anyway.” Nope. Brave means listening to the still small voice inside and DOING AS IT SAYS. Regardless of what the rest of the world is saying. Brave implies WISDOM.
I love everything BRAVE stands for, I am going to step out of my comfort zone. I am going to not let my fears hold me back. I am going to be a little bit daring!
Being brave will mean:
- Taking my business to the next level and not holding back because of my age.
- Taking control of my eating habits
- Meeting new people and not worrying what they may think of me
- Embracing turning 50 this year and not hold back because of a number
- Contacting businesses/individuals I want to collaborate with, they can only say no in the end!
- Stop comparing myself to others on social media and accept who I am and like me ( this is one of the toughest for me to be honest)
- Stop listening to the voices in my head telling me I can’t, be brave and try it. Better to have tried than not tried at all
I cannot wait to see where my word takes me in 2019.
Do you make resolutions or do you choose a word for the year? Would love to hear your thoughts…
PS : Highly recommend listening to Christina Greve’s podcast on goal setting for some great tips